Property Development Solicitors

Ashworths specialises in dealing with property development matters in all its various aspects.  Since the firm started work back in 2000 this has been an area of primary specialisation, and we act for a large number of developers and other property professionals with experienced property development lawyers.
For a number of years now we have held regular seminars for developers and associated professionals dealing with the current matter of interest – including recent seminars on rights of light, joint venture vehicles, and restrictive covenants.
Property Development Solicitors

Expert Property Development Lawyers Wimbledon

We are well versed in site assembly using either conditional contracts or options and dealing with the more esoteric side of these including complex provisions in conditional contracts, for example, addressing responsibility for future and as yet unknown s106 payments or ensuring that trees can be removed at an early stage after signing of option.
We are aware of the need for developers to keep as many avenues open as possible and have dealt on many occasions with selling on the benefit of contracts once planning permission has been obtained.
A restrictive covenant is an area where we have particular expertise.  More often than not in the areas in which we work, we find that a site assembly will run into a restrictive covenant issue.  Usually, these are addressed by insurance but we also have expertise in assessing potential applications to the Lands Tribunal to modify or remove such covenants.
Rights of light is another area – growing in importance particularly following recent case law –  where we have experience and a good understanding as to when rights of a light surveyor should be asked to become involved and appropriate action taken.
Every development matter from the simple one for one to a complex site assembly requires the full attention of experienced property professionals and at Ashworths this is the service we provide.  We aim to become involved early in the process and to liaise not only with the client but also as required with the architect or specialist surveyor to obtain a full picture of the proposed development and to take a full part in the developer team.

We are happy to discuss your requirements with you and to advise in general terms on all aspects of the transaction and the estimated legal cost. Please either contact us by telephone or email us at:

CALL US: 0345 370 1000


Conveyancing of a property is a formal term for the paperwork and legalities involved in transferring a property from one party to another, either though buying and selling, or via a rental or leasehold arrangement. A property specialist solicitor’s firm will be able to help with the different aspects of conveyancing.

Residential conveyancing is the name for the legalities and paperwork around buying, selling or renting a domestic dwelling, such as a house or flat, as opposed to commercial offices, retail space or warehousing. A specialist property solicitor will be able to advise on what residential conveyancing services you require, based on your individual circumstances.

There is no single answer to this question as each case will take a different length of time to complete, based on the complexity of the purchase, rental or sale, geographical locations involved and any other issues around surveys, searches and financial arrangements such as mortgages or shared ownership. Your solicitor will be able to advise how long your conveyancing work will take in more detail.

As with any financial decision, it is important to do careful research into potential conveyancing solicitors, including reading reviews, checking that the firm offers the services you require and, above all, trusting your instincts about working with the people involved. To get started, check local business directories, speak to friends and family or contact the Law Society for a list of solicitors in your area.

Purchasing residential property through a company is perfectly possible to do, however, it will require a little more specialist support from a suitable solicitor to ensure that the paperwork is in order. Speak to Ashworths Solicitors to find out how we can help.

In theory, it is perfectly possible to buy or sell a house without the support of a solicitor, and some people are attracted to the chance to save money by ‘going it alone’. However, if you do not have adequate legal knowledge, patience or time to conduct your own conveyancing, it is highly recommended to contact a solicitor to undertake the process on your behalf.

A mortgage is a loan taken out against a property or piece of land to help the buyer have access to enough funds to secure its ownership. The loan is secured against the new acquisition and repayments are made regularly until the mortgage, plus any agreed interest, is paid off. If repayments are not kept up, the mortgage provider can repossess the property in order to get their money back.

When you re-mortgage a property, this means that you take out an additional loan, which is secured against the property, to replace or add to an existing mortgage. The repayment agreements and interest rate can be the same as your existing mortgage, or completely different. These details must be agreed with the re-mortgage provider before the loan is issued to the borrower.

A leasehold property is a building or other assets that are sited on land that is owned by someone else – known as the freeholder. The leaseholder must agree to the freeholder’s terms to ‘rent’ the land on which their property sits, which often involves regular payments and service charges that pay for – or contribute towards – the upkeep of the land.

Shared ownership issues can be complicated to process, so it is highly recommended to engage a solicitor to protect all parties and to spot and resolve as quickly and practically as possible. Choose a specialist property conveyancing solicitor with experience in shared ownership matters, such as Ashworths Solicitors.

Latest News

From Tiny Acorns…

One of the questions we often receive from buyers when they are purchasing a property is what is a tree…